Editors's Pick, AOL, Desktop Planetariums
MyStars!, developed by Relative Data, is a scientifically rigorous, yet fun and educational Windows astronomy program that simulates the sky and helps you visualize and locate the positions of stars, planets, comets, minor planets, and Messier (M) objects from any location on earth and any date/time from BC 2000 to AD 6000.
The registered version also shows the moon with phases, solar and lunar eclipses, and the 118,000 Hipparcos Star Catalogue.
Striving constantly to balance visual realism, scientific accuracy, and the imagination; we hope you find MyStars! of interest.
Multi-lingual Installer, Planetarium, Orrery, Printing, Full Screen View, Help, Images, Zoom In/Out, Object identification and Metrics, Object Tracking and Animation.
And the animations are amazing.
Now with DYNAMIC SAVED VIEWS!
New Features in Version 2.7
MyStars! 2.7 is a great, fun learning tool!
- We have added dynamic 'Saved Views' which are files that you can save or exchange with other MyStars! users. When someone reopens the saved view, it remains dynamic! Zoom in on it, animate it, experiment with it! You can even add dynamic views to webpages and as email attachments!
To see a dynamic example, click on this after installing MyStars! chasemercury.msv
- Now you can also save your screens to GIF files for generating star maps for your web site
- When MyStars! is registered it can show the 118,000+ stars of the Hipparcos Star Catalogue
- Our eclipse calculations are now more accurate than ever
- Every star, planet, asteroid has tooltips on it, and you can click on any celestial object to get comprehensive information about that object, including accurate rise/set times
For all the new features, see the Help File after installing.
Other Info about MyStars!
The most recent version of MyStars! is v2.7. Download a trial version. PLEASE READ THE SPECIAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS IN OUR FORUM IF YOU ARE RUNNING VISTA OR WINDOWS 7.
Registration is only US$20, and allows you to display the moon, eclipses, and the Hipparcos catalogue of 118,000 stars. It also pre-registers you for two years of free upgrades! Register MyStars! 2.7 now, and you will get a free upgrade to MyStars! 3.0 when its released.
Get the Latest Comet and Asteroid Files
MyStars! comes with a data on many comets and asteroids, but new data is being produced on a regular basis which installs directly into MyStars!:
The International Astronomical Union - Minor Planet Center - Harvard - Smithsonian regularly produces new comet and asteroid files in MyStars! format which you can download. Read more here.